What do I do if the police stop me?
When told to stop or halt by the police, do so immediately. Do not run because if you do you may be shot or even killed. Although you may feel insulted remain calm and keep your cool. Do not react physically. Give your name and address, or show ID, but remember, you don’t need to say anything more. The less you say the better off you are. Although it may be difficult, try to get the names and badge numbers of the police who stop or arrest you.
What do I do if I am arrested??
Once you are told that you are arrested, only give your name, address, parents’ and employer’s name, address and telephone number. This information is used to set bail. You have a right to remain silent. Only say, “I want to talk to a lawyer.” Do not talk to the police, speak on a video tape or to a District Attorney about anything concerning or related to the crime you are arrested for, and do not sign anything.

If you are under 16 years old, the police have to notify your parents. You may be handcuffed, searched photographed and fingerprinted. Do not talk to the other prisoners about your case. You have a right to make one phone call to your family or lawyer. If you need information about a friend or relative who has been arrested, call Central Booking in the borough in which s/he was arrested.
Bronx (718) 590-2817
Brooklyn: (718) 875-6586
Manhattan: (212) 374-5256
Queens: (718) 520-9311
Staten Island: (718) 876-8490

What do I do if I am a victim of police brutality?
If a police officer strikes or hurts you for no reason, orders you to do something that they have no right to order you to do; speaks to you in an insulting manner or makes negative comments about your race, nationality, religion, sex or sexual identity, call or write the Civilian Complaint Review Board (CCRB), 4 Rector Street, New York, NY 10006; phone (212) 442-8833. If you need help filing a complaint, the Center for Law and Social Justice will assist you in filing a complaint and in obtaining a lawyer, ii you want to file a law suit.
Will CLSJ provide a lawyer for my legal dispute?
CLSJ does not represent individuals in legal matters except for immigration legalization and naturalization, however; we do provide free legal consultations so community members will know their rights. We also provide legal referrals. CLSJ does handle class action cases and impact racial justice/cultural rights litigation where many community residents are affected by social injustice.
How can I volunteer at CLSJ?
Just call or email our office and ask for Gwen Riddick. The office number is (718) 804-8893 and her email is griddick@mec.cuny.edu. She will work a schedule that’s convenient for you and beneficial to CLSJ.